Friday 30 June 2017

Busy Bees

I'm not a morning person. I'd like to get up before 7, but that has to do, most days. And one of the first things I do when I get up is go straight down the garden to have a look at the wonderfully coloured, bright, yellow, orange and red, peach and pink nasturtiums in my tubs and to do some deadheading. Because if you deadhead them religiously they just keep on flowering with these incredibly bright and vibrant colours. And down there this morning I noticed straight away a bee busily visiting the blossoms. Buzzy and busy already, at that time in the morning! And as I listened, I heard the birds in the trees chirping cheerily to each other. It made me think - what a busy place the natural world is, right from their start as soon as the sun peeps over the horizon. 
Many times I've sat down there at dusk enjoying the sky and the trees. And because at the bottom of our garden there are many trees, the sound of the birds in the evening is magnificent as the sky gently darkens and the bat comes out to join them, seeking tasty flying morsels. But there's a certain point of the dusk when all the cheeping and chirping of the birds falls silent. That's because they have to be up first thing in the morning to be busy and busy and busy. How active and alive the natural world is! No lie-a-beds there. 
And why is doing something 'religiously' to do it with commitment and purpose and determination?
Is the natural world, the bee and the bird and a thousand other creatures, strange thought, doing it religiously? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!

IT MAKES YOU THINK

In 3 days time, on Saturday 28th July, I will be exactly the same age my dad was when he died. He was 64 and 2 weeks. It was no age, we all...